If you have an outlet or wall switch that feels hot to the touch, then you need to have them inspected and repaired right away. The hot outlet or switch may be caused by a power overload, loose wire connection or weak contacts inside the device.
Many older homes have wall outlets that don't have a tight enough connection when you plug into them. If your appliance power cord is loose and falls out of the electric outlet, the electrical receptacle needs to be replaced. Any loose or bad electrical connection to the electrical device (whether it is from a faulty cord, outlet or switch) can cause unwanted power outages and are a fire hazard. Call an electrician to troubleshoot and repair the electrical problem. Consider having the electrical contractor update all switches with Tamper-Resistant Outlets (TRO) and GFI receptacles throughout the house.
Note: Dimmer switches produce some heat in their normal operation and may feel warm to the touch.